What you’ll need
- 53oz ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onions
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fennel
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled & chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 11oz sugar
- 10.5oz red wine vinegar
- 1oz salt
- ¼ tsp of cayenne
- ¼ tsp of ground cloves
- ¼ tsp of nutmeg, grated
ServesMakes about 1 litre
How to make it
- In a sauce pan with olive oil, sweat garlic, fennel and onions until soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, (apart from nutmeg) bring to boil and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Stir often so it doesn’t catch and burn the bottom of the pan.
- If too thick add a couple of tbsp of water.
- Leave to cool slightly.
- Liquidize until smooth in a food processor, sieve & add the nutmeg.
- Store in kilner jars that have been sterilized, keep in a cool cupboard. Once opened keep in fridge, will keep for 1 month.